Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Vegan ice cream taco

Forget all the good vegan recipes you think you know for vegan waffle cones. I have found what I think to be the best one yet. It's flavoursome, crispy and can be raw too!

The recipe is from Nouveau Raw. They give you great tips for how to make waffle cones, waffle bowls and cookies. Pretty much just anything to put your ice cream into.

I love that this recipe is raw, but I didn't have the time to wait 10 hours for it to dehydrate so I put mine into the oven for an hour at 150 degrees C. But the time can vary depending on your oven. Just keep an eye on it and take it out when it is crispy enough for your liking.

I made my own adaptation to the recipe as I didn't want to make mine chocolate waffle cones. I was already going to be smothering my ice cream taco in chocolate so I figured it would be too much chocolate if I put it into the shell as well. I substituted the cocoa powder for hazelnut meal.

The ice cream taco was DELICIOUS by the way :) Deliciously unhealthy that is. I could only eat half of it in one sitting though. Iy's probably better that way. If I'd have eaten the whole thing, I'd most likely go into a month long sugar coma.


Vegan Nut Waffle Cones
Adapted from Nouveau Raw

Ingredients: 
  • 3/4 cups cashews, soaked 2+ hours
  • 1/2 cup flax seed, ground
  • 1/2 cup hazelnut meal
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1 ripe banana
  • 1/4 cup raw coconut butter or creamed coconut (pretty much just anything with both the flesh and the oil creamed together)
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1/4 tsp liquid stevia (optional) - I didn't include this
  • 6 cups packed, moist almond pulp

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 150C.
  2. After soaking the cashews, drain and rinse them.  If you already have soaked and dehydrated cashews in the pantry, you can use those.
  3. Place the cashews in the food processor, fitted with the “S” blade, and process until it resembles a small crumble.   Place in a large bowl.
  4. Add the ground flax, hazelnut meal, cinnamon and salt.  Mix.  Set aside.
  5. In the same food processor bowl combine the bananas, creamed coconut/coconut butter, maple syrup, and stevia (if using).  Process until creamy.   Pour over the dry ingredients, add the almond pulp and mix together with your hands working everything in together.
  6. Measure out 1/4 cup of batter and roll into large balls.  Do this until all of the batter is gone.
  7. To make the cone with the waffle maker:
    • Line the waffle cone machine with plastic wrap, place the ball of batter in the center and lay another piece of plastic wrap over the top.
    • Close the machine and squeeze shut.
    • Open, peel off the top piece of plastic wrap and remove the flattened waffle cone.
  8.  I then used aluminium foil to make a taco shell mold and placed the flattened waffle cone in here.
  9. Place the taco shell in the oven at 150C for about 45mins-1 hour but keep an eye on it and take it out when it is crispy enough for you. 
To make the ice cream taco:
  • Melt a block of vegan chocolate and mix in a handful of chopped almonds or any nut of your choosing
  • Once the taco shell has cooled down completely, scoop in some vegan ice cream. I mixed ice cream and banana together. 
  • Coat the taco with the melted chocolate and place in the freezer for a minimum of 20 minutes. 
  • Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment