Saturday, September 7, 2013

The Adventures of Alvin Sputnik: Deep Sea Explorer; and my homemade nacho hat

I over committed to my something new for today. I had originally planned to just go and watch a performance called The Adventures of Alvin Sputnik: Deep Sea Explorer at the State Theatre Centre of Western Australia, but my brother found out that I was planning to make a nacho hat and he somehow convinced me to attempt to make one today. 

In all of this, I had work, so forgive me but I'm so exhausted right now.

I had heard about the performance a few years back when my friend went to watch it. I was booking my tickets for another play from the same writer and saw that The Adventures of Alvin was also showing so I jumped on the opportunity and booked two tickets. 

It is such an amazing peformance! Please go see this the next time it comes to Perth. In fact, the creator Tim Watts, is actually from Perth. It is a one man show performed by Watts, and he uses a mixture of live acting, animation and puppetry to present a heartwarming story about Avlin Sputnik who is on a mission to save the world and find his love. 

It is honestly one of the best shows I've watched. It is so beautiful and so simple. Watts is truly talented. This was such a masterpiece. 

Tonight was also the first time I've been into to State Theatre Centre (aka Heath Ledger Theatre). It is absolutely beautiful inside. The lounge and lobby areas are so neat and tidy with lovely furniture and lights, while the theatre itself is quite small. Definitely make an effort to watch a play on at the State Theatre, it's such a lovely place. 













Cool lights projected onto the ground outside the entrance of the State Theatre Centre.



My second something new was making a nacho hat!!! Never in my wildest dreams would I think that I'd be able to make one. Mind you, this first attempt was not perfect. I have to improve on the presentation of the hat most of all. The dough didn't stick together very well, so when I tried to roll it out, it would crumble. This made it incredibly difficult to get a nice thin layer and put that on top of my hat mould. 

Instead, I had to just dump the dough onto the mould and try to make the shape using my hands. That is why the edge of the hat is all rough and crooked. But nevermind, my next attempt will be better :)

I used a very specific type of flour called masa harina flour to make my nacho hat. I could've used just normal flour, but it would not have had that corn chip taste. I used the recipe from here and ended up using three times as much in order to cover my hat mould. 

The nacho hat ended up tasting really nice. Tasted like corn chips :) My hat was a lot thinker than normal corn chips, but it still went well with salsa and guacamole. My brother and I tried to eat it with just the two of us, but it was just too big...and we ran out of salsa. 



I only ended up using the blue bowl and not the little one on top.




No comments:

Post a Comment