Saturday, April 6, 2013

Vegan matcha pancakes

I woke up earlier than I needed to today and because I knew I wouldn't have time today to do anything new, I decided to use up the last of my matcha powder and make some matcha pancakes. 

I did a quick Google search and came across a great recipe for fluffy vegan pancakes from the website Post Punk Kitchen. I've always had the trouble of my pancakes never being thick and fluffy enough, so I put a lot of hope into these ones. 

To my total and utter delight, these were by far the best pancakes I have ever made. Ever. In my whole 21 years of life. Hands down, today's were the best. I should frame this pancake recipe for sure. 

So the recipe on the Post Punk Kitchen site was actually just for normal buttermilk pancakes, but they tasted just as good with the matcha powder. I made a few substitutions which I've included below, but the Post Punk Kitchen recipe is a bit more user friendly.

With or without the matcha flavouring, nothing can spoil a day which starts with these pancakes. 


Vegan matcha (greentea) pancakes

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon matcha
1 cup vanilla soy milk  
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar  
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds  
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons sunflower oil

In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Add the matcha and mix to combine. Make a well in the center.

Measure the milk into a measuring cup. Add vinegar and ground flax seeds, and use a fork to vigorously mix the ingredients until foamy (I used a hand blender on high). This will take a minute or so.

Pour the milk mixture into the center of the dry ingredients. Add the water, sunflower oil and vanilla and use a fork to mix until a thick, lumpy batter forms. That should take about a minute. It doesn’t need to be smooth, just make sure you get all the ingredients incorporated.

Preheat the pan over medium-low heat and let the batter rest for 10 minutes.

Lightly coat the pan in oil. Add 1/3 cup of batter for each pancake, and cook for about 4 minutes, until puffy. Flip the pancakes, adding a new coat of oil to the pan, and cook for another 3 minutes or so. Pancake should be about an inch thick, and golden brown.

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Can't believe I left out the main ingredient! 1 tablespoon of matcha! :)

      Delete
  2. I made them today and they were sooo good. Thanks for sharing the recipe! Although I thought they were PERFECT, my friend found them too bitter. Do you have any idea why this might have been the case? I'm blaming the matcha - or the large amount of baking powder.

    Nadja

    ReplyDelete