Monday, April 15, 2013

Vanilla, carob and berry overnight oat parfait

I started my first official day of prac for my mental health community placement today. My shift was 1-9.30pm, so I knew that if I wanted to do something new today, it had to be in the morning. 

I discovered a fantastic breakfast recipe called overnight oats last year. Normally you cook oats in a saucepan with water or milk and eat it warm. With overnight oats, you soak them in milk (soy milk, in my case) overnight and the next morning you get oats with the same consistency and texture as cooked oats, but it's served cold. Great for the hotter months :)

I decided to try and find a recipe for overnight oats that I've never tried before. In the past I've done chocolate and peanut butter and just plain old vanilla.

I came across a website called Oh She Glows which had a bunch of different variations of overnight oat parfaits. The word "parfait" is of French origin, and it is a frozen dessert made primarily from cream, egg and syrup. The American version is the parfait cream which is layered with things like fruit, fresh cream, jello/jelly in a tall glass. In the case of this overnight oats recipe, it's called a parfait because it is layered.

So I loosely followed the original recipe from Oh She Glows, but here is the one I adapted:

Vegan Overnight Oat Parfait (Vanilla, Chocolate Carob, Strawberry and raspberry)

Yield: 1 serving

Vegan Overnight Oats:
  • 1/3 cup regular oats
  • 3 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1 cup vanilla soymilk
Directions: Mix together in bowl and place in the fridge overnight. Stir well in morning. 
Pour half of oats into bowl and stir in 1 tablespoon of carob.

Berry layer
  • A handful of frozen strawberries and raspberries 
 Directions: Process frozen banana in food processor. (Add more frozen banana if you want it creamy, otherwise it'll turn out a bit like granita

Banana Soft Serve:
  • 1 medium frozen banana, chopped 
Directions: Process frozen banana in food processor until smooth and creamy

Assemble the layers anyway you like and top with the banana soft serve. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment