Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The Giver by Lois Lowry

I did my something new today in the wee early hours of the morning. I finished the book I have been reading called The Giver by Lois Lowry. This novel was very short in comparison to the 500+ page books I am used to reading, and yet because of my busy schedule it's taken me something like a month to finally finish it. 

The novel is about a young boy, Jonas living in a community which has been converted into "Sameness". There are rules for just about everything but people seem to be happy living this way. For one member of the community called the Receiver, they are given the memories of life before "Sameness". Jonas is selected to be the next Receiver and when he undergoes training from the current Receiver he discovers a lot about the world he thought he knew.

Even though it was a short novel, I found that the story went in depth enough for me not to be left with burning questions at the end.

The author Lois Lowry also has other books which follow The Giver and so I will definitely be sure to get into them.

One thing I really like about reading is that it's a nice escape from all the things happening in my world. Even though there is always a conflict in the novels I read, it's nice to know that there will be some kind of resolution at the end.

The talent of some authors leaves me totally in awe sometimes. I love a book that makes you laugh, cry and feel every other emotion in between, and best of all, a love it when a chapter is so good that I literally have put it down for a split second just to say "f*** that's good writing" ;) 

You won't know what I'm on about until you experience it for yourself, but one day when it happens to you, just remember that you're not the only one out there.

I love seeing all the different book cover illustrations (especially for all the Harry Potter books), so here they are for The Giver:
File:The Giver Cover.gif
Image from here
Image from here
  

http://mapsandmemories.edublogs.org/files/2013/01/giver-breakthrough-1svlgac.jpg 

No comments:

Post a Comment