Tuesday, April 2, 2013

DIY Bat-stache tank top

I told my friend that I had a moustache party coming up this weekend and she linked me to a YouTube tutorial for a DIY moustache pendant (Video here). These crafty things are definitely the type of things I want to do for the blog. 

After watching the video, other ideas started to form in my mind for what I could wear to the party. while I was googling moustaches, I came across a cool picture of Batman with a moustache.  

I had the day off work today, so I decided to head out the the craft store Spotlight so buy everything I needed to make both the necklace and my own DIY t-shirt. 

Spotlight is like the women's equivalent to Bunnings. Love it. 

I also stopped into a few other craft stores to buy fabric paint. 

I was so excited to make the t-shirt, that I didn't get time to make the moustache necklace, but I've still got a few more days until the party, so that will be up on the blog soon. 

So here is a very quick tutorial for my Bat-stache tank top. It took pretty much the whole day to paint so I'm a bit pushed for time to write my blog entry. Sorry if it seems rushed!


DIY Bat-stache tank top:

Equipment:
  • Black and white (or grey) fabric paint
  • Paint brushes
  • T-shirt of your choice
  • Stanley knife
  • Ruler
  • Newspaper
  • thick piece of cardboard
  • Paper clamps
I started off by printing the picture that I wanted and cut it out to make a stencil. 


I placed the thick piece of cardboard inside the shirt so that the paint wouldn't seep through to the other side. I  clamped the paper to the t-shirt and cardboard to keep it in place while I painted.






I used the white fabric paint to do the shadowing on Batman's face.


For the text, I went onto the website Dafont.com and used their Batman Forever font simulator

I printed out my text design and made it into a stencil using a Stanley knife and ruler. 



I then clamped the stencil onto the shirt and painted the text on (fabric spray paint would have been good here).



The instructions on the fabric paint says to let it dry for 24 hours, and then turn the shirt inside out and use a warm iron over the design to set the paint to make it permanent and resistant to water. 


I'm really happy with the result, given that this is the first time I've ever done something like this. Sometimes you don't know what you're capable of until you try it :) 

Even my mum likes the top. When I tried it on, she said I looked "sexy", in her Asian accent. I don't think she's ever called me sexy before. She cracks me up hahaha.

No comments:

Post a Comment